Rss Feed
  1. LIFE!

    Tuesday, September 2, 2008

    So like many of my fellow blogging friends, I tend to hold others to a higher standard than I hold myself.  In my eyes and from my shoes, I am surely the only one too busy to be posting at least once a day.  I check everyone's blog daily and am disappointed when there is nothing new to read.  I'm a blog parasite....a leech of sorts.  Not giving, only taking because in contrast to many of you who have faithfully posted at least bi-weekly, my blog has been neglected all summer when there have been plenty of fun things to write about.  So there you go....my double-standard.  Your lives are just more interesting to me than my own.  I guess that's what makes it fun and in hopes of bringing some fun and variety to your life, here's what's goin on at our joint :).

    We had Jake and Corby live with us for the summer.  What an adventure!  They got to our house at the beginning of June.  We'd carefully prepared their room - we even painted the old furniture we had laying around, making the room look brand-spankin new.  Turns out boys don't really care. :)  The day they got there, I went down to see how the unpacking was going and upon arriving near the bottom of the stairs noticed a new smell.  I don't know what it is, but teenage boys have a smell.  Not the sweet smell of clean laundry or the overwhelming smell of cheap cologne....the teenage boy smell is a musty not-good smell.  And it stuck for the entire summer.  Often I would go into their room in the morning after they'd gone to work and put a dryer sheet behind the rotating fans they each had beside their beds.  Somehow this masked the smell at least for a day or so.  I am both happy and bewildered to report that the smell left the same day they did. 

    The summer was interesting.  The boys were really really good.  They worked at Taco Bell right down the street from us, which made for some excellent and free semi-mexican food. :)  In exchange for their beds and food, Jake and Corby mowed our lawn and occasionally did the dishes.  Jeff had a good time showing them how to wrestle (these wrestling lessons were, of course, completely unsolicited and sometimes initiated by a sneak attack from behind.  Meh- I'm sure they learned).

    This summer I made it through my first trimester of pregnancy.  Yahoo!  I can't complain at all because I don't think I had it bad, but that's in retrospect. :)  No really I was able to work all but a couple of days and felt only nauseated some of the time.  I didn't ever throw up (how many details do you want??) :).  And mostly I felt really tired, and that made me feel really lame and useless.  (Heather Walker, bless your soul.  I could hardly take care of my job, my tiny but grown family and my house.  I really don't know how you do it.)  Now though I'm feeling much better!  No more dragging myself out of bed at 8:15 (I work at 8:30) and falling asleep again at 9:00pm.  I'm making it to 10 these days :).  But I'm so glad to be able to wake up at 6:30 or 7 without feeling like I'm going to pass out from exhaustion and nausea.  Another great thing that's happened is I've been able to go back to my natural habit of eating an hour or so after I wake up, instead of making my first stop the kitchen in the morning, which was hard for me.  I'm beginning to show a small baby bump that actually looks like a baby bump instead of a bloated gut.  I'll post pictures later. :)

    Jeff and I got callings in our new ward.  Jeff is the Assistant Scout Master which is the perfect job for him.  I think he really likes it.  Oh, and while we're on the subject if I can get any volunteers to come over for a slumber party when he goes on campouts, that would be great. Also while we're on the subject of volunteers, if I could get someone to come clean out my fridge that would really be something. :D - No takers? - Well....you can't say I didn't try.... Anyway, I got called as the first counselor in the Young Women.  It's been an adventure.  We only have about 10 girls, so we're a small group, and I'm excited to get to know everyone.

    Lately I've been really into food storage.  And when I say lately I really mean since we got married.  Jeff's family is really good at it.  Anyway, we didn't plant a garden this year, which I'm pretty sad about at this point in the summer.  There's nothing like fresh veggies from the garden.  I'm dreaming of tomatoes and cucumbers and corn....yum...But we made the smart choice not to overwhelm ourselves all at once.  We moved into our house at the end of May, so that was cutting it close anyway.  For next year, we have an enormous garden planned out and I've got all kinds of plans for preserving the food for years to come.  I'm really excited about it.  Maybe a little too excited, cause really canning food is not that much fun.  I reminded myself of that little fact yesterday when I decided to make Grape Jelly.  Our neighbors have a grape vine that drapes over our fence and when they moved in they told us whatever grows on our side is ours to keep.  So I got all domestic, went out yesterday and picked our grapes.  Then I removed them each from the stem.  This is a job for slaves or kids....it is not fun especially alone....so if anyone wants to loan their little helpers, I'll take em for a day or two.  Anyhow after that awesome job, I put them to simmer for 20 minutes, like the directions said.  Then after that, I took my big ol' pot of simmering grapes and juice to the blender, where I planned to liquify it, like the directions said.  Something the directions failed to mention is this:  when you put hot liquid into the blender and turn it on, something magical happens.  It doesn't matter how full or empty (for the pessimists) the blender is, the liquid expands and explodes the lid off, covering you, the counter, the floor and anything else in the vicinity with boiling grape sludge, which if you're using green grapes like I was looks a little like puke.  I learned that the hard way.  Luckily I was on the phone with Tucker who told me he'd seen something on the Food Network about putting hot food in the blender, and you have to take the little plug out of the top.  Lesson learned.  Taking the top off worked.  Another lesson I learned is that the recipe I used was no good.  but I can say that I have 10 cute little jars of really tasty grape juice, which I plan to take out of the jars and re-do so that maybe it will resemble something you could put on bread with peanut butter and take to school without ending up with a PBJ drink in a baggy. :)  Needless to say after that batch my domestic feelings were gone, so I cleaned up the mess and quit for the day.  Wish me luck on the other 5 batches I have left. :)

    Anyway, that's about it as far as adventure goes.  I will post some pictures for you later....sure love you all!!!

    xoxo

  2. 4 comments:

    1. Candice said...

      Kallie- I just love reading your posts. You have a way with words and I love it. I hope everything continues to go well.
      cough....cough

    2. I must see your pregnant belly. Your post made me laugh til my eyes watered. I'm glad you updated!

      I tackled canning this week, too. Oye. You inspired me to blog about it.

    3. Alyssa said...

      so I went to the fish this weekend and thought of you. I was house hunting a few weeks ago and a girl gave me the managers name and low and behold it was you! Needlesstosay, I decided not to live there.

    4. Heather said...

      Hola Chicka...
      Just passing through and was surprised to see you posting... then I realized I was WAYYYY behind. So basically I've been catching up on you for the last 30min. and I LOVE reading your blog. And the way you said bless your soul was halarious- you should come over, especially when your hubby is camping. I could use some fresh YW ideas and I have little slaves- i mean children to do bummer jobs (why do you think I'm having so many?) and basically-I miss you. Let's play. bye:)