Rss Feed
  1. A Political Thought

    Friday, September 12, 2008

    This thought has been going through my head for some time now...tell me what you think.

    All over the place, people are making a big deal about Obama being black, and how he's the first black man to run for president and blah blah blah.  Some people are comparing him to Martin Luther King, which I think is absolutely taking it too far.  I may share more on my opinion of Obama in a later post unless I decide to follow my mother's counsel and not say anything at all if I don't have anything nice to say. ;)

    The point I want to make today is this: isn't making such a big deal about Obama being black racist?  Martin Luther King didn't say, "I have a dream that someday there will be black people running things like corporations, states and the United States of America".  He said:

    "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

    By the content of their character.  I know that I may be ignorant of racial issues that still exist in many parts of our country, but from where I stand this race card needs to be put away for good.  Being racist means seeing colors at all - making them an issue at all...whether that be an issue of oppression of a race or triumph of a race.  

    Until we can have a black man or a yellow man or a purple man run for president without making a big deal about it, we will never have the kind of country that Martin Luther King, and so many good and decent people before and after him have dreamed of.

  2. 2 comments:

    1. Jennifer said...

      Yeah, plus is as white as he is black. He has two parents, right?

      None of it matters though. I think people are looking for "substance" where they can find it, and for some reason that qualifies as substance. In truth, it says nothing about his ability (or lack thereof) to manage a country.

    2. Amen, mah brutha.

      And kudos to the comment above, as well.

      LOVE you guys!
      ~KJ