Rss Feed
  1. Actually I don't feel pretty, but a lot of the times I do feel witty and what I'm about to tell you really is gay (not that there's anything wrong with that).

    So I finally went to the doctor for my mastitis on Tuesday. I'd been on antibiotics and they hadn't touched it. PLUS I spent a couple of hours on Tuesday night bawling my eyes out in pain. There's your sign. By the time we got in to see the doctor, I thought I was going to die if he touched it. Turns out I didn't, just cried a lot. He flinched a little when he saw it and was really sympathetic saying things like "that really looks like it hurts" and "I can't imagine". Yes it does, and no you can't. :) He told me he thought it would feel a lot better if he drained it, so he went and got a syringe and some numbing stuff (which I'm pretty sure was expired because it didn't work AT ALL). Anyway, don't read on if you have a weak tummy. He stuck the needle into the most tender and sore part...the part that is so red and swollen it's almost purple....which made me scream a little. It took him about 2 seconds to draw out 12 ccs of bloody, pussy 'fluid' - use your imagination on what that looked like. I tried to keep my eyes open plus, oh ya, I was bawling in pain. He was shocked that he got that much and sent Bev (his assistant...of course her name is Bev - it's perfect!) to get another syringe. He barely started filling up the 2nd when he said, "Bev, should have told you to get two...can you grab another?" He sent her out 2 more times after that. All together he got about 48 cc's of that crap out and THEN had to put a little pressure on the spot where he put the needle in. And that's when I really wanted to deck him. Good thing for both of us that he's such a nice guy.

    Anyway, he sent me home with a prescription for a new antibiotic and Lortab for the pain. When I walked out of the exam room it must not have been hard to tell that I'd been sobbing because everyone that looked at me put on their sympathetic face and their quiet voice. They're so nice over there.

    That night I felt great. Seriously. Jackson and I both slept for 10 hours straight - awesome. PLUS the doctor called me at like 8:30 at night to make sure I was okay. I told him I felt a million times better and he said good, and that now he'd be able to sleep. Nice guy, huh? It made me feel good that he cared that much.

    BUT the saga continues. Around 11 am yesterday I started feeling some pressure in that area again, so we called the doc and I went back at 3:30 yesterday afternoon. I saw another doctor (since the first guy had gone out of town) and he was worried. He told me he wasn't going to do anything at that point, but that I should not try to 'tough it out'. I was to go home and if it got worse at all in the night, we were to go immediately to the ER to have the abscess surgically removed. Well, it's morning, so we didn't get to that point - at least I don't think we have. I'm on Lortab for crying out loud. :) I have another appointment this morning at 9:20, so we'll see what happens then and I'll update you.

    For now, that's my adventure. Lucky lucky me that I'm one of the 3%-10% of women who get an abscess after they get mastitis. Anyway, lots of love to you all - we'll catch up later, I'm sure. :)

    xoxo

  2. 11 comments:

    1. Sharee said...

      Oh you poor thing!!! I feel so bad for you. And now I REALLY want to have a baby! :) If I were down there I'd come take care of you!

    2. Julie G. said...

      What a nightmare!! Oh my goodness. I can't believe your STILL breastfeeding after such an ordeal. That's dedication woman! Hope you feel better soon and you find some relief with the meds.

    3. ej said...

      Kallie- I CANNOT believe that story and how much pain you've been in!!!!!! Seriously, mouth open in shock. I know that back in the "old" days women actually could die from mastitis and I think I see now how that could be possible. I will be praying this resolves without any further intervention- so sorry!!!!!

    4. Heather said...

      Kallie,
      I cannot believe it got that bad. I mean seriously. I am hurting for you. I had that M word a few times, but never like that. I am SO sorry!!!! What a good doctor, I hope everything is on the downhill- seriously getting the chills here from your story. AH!

    5. C Tam said...

      aaaaaah! So much worse than it sounded when you told me about it today. You are Wonderwoman. And here is the label for Tisha's blog (as found on Joel and Linda's list, lol) "Joy Who Supplants Bitterness With Enthusiasm"

      Keep in touch.

    6. heatherann said...

      Sheesh Kallie. that really sounds like no big deal, what are you whining for??!!?? I'm just kidding. I think mine are starting to hurt a bit thinking about it!! I hope you kick it soon, without surgery. Good luck!

    7. Candice said...

      Kal- that sounds so painful! I had a cyst in one of my lady lumps- and they used a lollipop sized needle to drain it- It was not fun. I can't imagine having so much of an infection! I feel for you. You are a real woman.

    8. Jennifer said...

      Kallie I had no idea! I need to check your blog more often. I teared up a little for you. I don't know about you, but when you are SO sick or in SO much pain, and trying to have a stiff upper lip and go on like things are just fine. . . then someone understands and acknowledges how bad it must be for you. . . well that's enough to get the waterworks going for me. Plus that sounds so, so painful. I've just had plugged ducts and THOSE hurt like mad, but mastitis and even worse, severe mastitis like you have must be torture. You are a tough chick to have endured that for so long. :( I hope you're doing tons and tons better, and I sure love you!

    9. Candice said...

      Kallie- I was thinking about your situation again last night. Cringing mostly, but when I worked at the dentist office, we would have people come in with abcesses and they couldn't get numb because there was so much infection. Maybe that's why you couldn't either...either way, I bet it sucked big time.

    10. mom said...

      You are wonder woman. WONDER WOMAN!!!

    11. Amber Feller said...

      OH HONEY! I am sure i am going to sound like all those sympathetic faces looking at you after your appointment, but oh honey! I am so sorry you have had to go through that! Hopefully things are better for you now and sure hope to see you soon!