Rss Feed
  1. My thoughts again...

    Monday, December 3, 2007

    I don't know why I wait so long to get my thoughts out. There are so many of them in my head at one time and it feels so good to get them out so I can start thinking about something else.

    1. Virtue - what life is all about. The other day, Jeff and I were at a store buying some Christmas decorations. In front of us in line were 2 ladies who looked like nice old ladies who were trying to get their houses ready for the holidays just like we were. They had just a few things between the two of them, but judging from their festive vests, they were only starting. It was a long line, so we were behind them for a while. After about 5 minutes in line, one of them turned to the other and in language un-becoming a lady...especially an old one...told her friend how frustrated she was that she couldn't find everything she needed. I was so surprised by what she said and how she chose to say it! I'm sorry to say that after that those two old ladies seemed so different to me. Old women are women to be admired...women who've worked all their lives - who maybe used dirty language when they were young, and who scolded children as mothers, but who had grown into virtuous and loving, patient grandmothers...women to be admired. I mean....isn't that what life is for? What's life worth if we're the same in the end as we were in the beginning? It really drove something into my heart to hear that. I wonder what people think when I talk...do I say what I ought to say and hold my tongue when it's wise to? Am I learning the things I should be learning and disciplining myself? Or when I'm 60 will I be so undisciplined that someone might hear me swear about something like Christmas decorations? Hmmm....

    2. People say that asians are the worst drivers in America, which may or may not be true. Driving in China is a nightmare for an American....to them the chaos, constant honking and cutting people off is normal! And while we were in China I thought about that and the first thing that came to my mind was, "You don't know where they're coming from..." Shouldn't that be the first thing that comes to mind anytime I see something negative in someone else? If I knew where they came from, surely I wouldn't be so harsh or quick to judge.

    3. Friends. Growing up friends weren't a huge part of my life. It seemed like my mom's friends were her sisters and my dad's friends were his wife and kids. I remember my dad getting mad at Chelsea and I one Christmas for buying our friends presents. He told us that our friends would come and go, but that our family is what would stay - that we should focus on our brothers and sisters. He was right about one thing....family stays, and my brothers and sisters are the closest friends I have. But I'm going to have to disagree with him about friends. Some come and go, but the real ones stay. I've just recently gotten back into contact with a lot of old friends and I just love it. People are social...we need other people to help us through life...and sometimes not even to help us, but just to be with us. We've always needed each other. The way we fulfil that need is different now that it has ever been in the history of the world, but think how much it means to all of us to read someone else's blog post or get a quick note on facebook or myspace. Just to know what's going on in someone else's little piece of the world is important to us. I'm really grateful for friends and for friendships I'm renewing. I'm grateful for friendships that I don't have to renew...they seem to stay strong no matter how much time passes. Man...life is good.

    xoxo

  2. 3 comments:

    1. Anonymous said...

      You are one great lady Kallie Maughan.....keep on writing those thoughts! You really got my heart to thinkin'....can't wait to see you and catch up....and have you help me get ready for the big wild party that's gonna be happening here....SO FUN!
      LOVE YOU!
      Auntie

    2. I love reading your thoughts. Thanks for sharing, and you're so right. What comes to my mind is, "Let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly." It all starts in our thoughts. Yours are good and virtuous, from what I can tell.

      I never thought friends were important. It's becoming more and more clear to me how much we need friends. We need our family as friends, we need our neighbors, and women especially seem to really need each other. I'm thankful for my friends- the ones I'm related to, and the ones I'm not.

    3. Tolmans said...

      Kal- oh man I hope this comment works. I have been trying and trying to comment to your blog but i think something might be wrong... obviously :) I tried to comment to the one about leaving your job and starting a new "life"- you will be GGGRREEAATT... kal you are going to do awesome and the jist of my post was, sometimes it is great and sometimes it stinks, but Heavenly Father will truly always take care of you. Thats what Steven and I are learning, as long as we are faithful, we are taken care of, just do what you love. As for this post, I just LOVE you. I really do. Was that the Christmas that I got a gift:) cause I remember that very specifcally. And i love you so much. I am thankful for my friends. I really believe that the right friend comes along at the right time and some go because your friendship "job" or their friendship "job" is complete and some stay because their job is to be there forever. I think you are one of my forever friends. Forever with a few breaks, but nonetheless forever. It makes me think that Heavenly Father sure does know what he is doing.