I decided last week to start Personal Progress. I don't know how faithful I was when I did it as a young girl, plus I feel like I could use a boost in my personal growth.
As my first goal, chose one in the section on knowledge. The goal says "Select a gospel principle you would like to understand better. Read scriptures and the words of latter-day prophets that relate to the principle. Prepare a five-minute talk on the subject and give the talk in sacrament meeting, in a Young Women meeting, to your family or to your class."
Something that's been on my mind for a long time now is the principle of fasting especially since I have been unable to fast for the last year or so (since I've been pregnant and nursing). BUT I know that fasting is much more than just going without food for 24 hours. AND that the blessings of fasting are available to those of us who can't go without food because of physical limitations, so I decided to study that, and I decided to share what I've learned here instead of in a talk or in young women. I really learned a lot, and I hope you benefit from my study. Here is what I have learned so far:
From my journal:
7-15-09
As I read about fasting the most prominent principle in connection with fasting is the importance of paying a generous fast offering, which is something Jeff and I have struggled with since we've been married - we just seem to forget. This is a principle that should become more natural to us. This will be one of the places I focus.
Another recurring theme in the talks I studied was service. The essence of fasting seems to be the consecration of our lives to God - in service of those around us. AS part of a true and proper fast, we should seek out opportunities to serve others especially temporally, but of course in all other ways.
During a fast, prayer should be nearly unceasing, but special time should also be set apart for meditation and prayer, which might include studying the scriptures.
Tomorrow Jeff and I will go to the temple - since he will be at a scout-camp out on our usual temple day. I think I will invite him to fast with me. As part of my fast, I plan to do the following:
1. Pray sincerely
2. Pay a generous fast offering
3. Look for ways to serve [ponder serving 'temporally'] - maybe sharing from our garden
4. Set aside time for sincere meditation
5. Share my testimony
6. Pray for specific blessings - fast with a purpose
And so my fast will include all the elements of a full and proper fast except that I won't go without food because I can't at this point in my life [I will also not be excesive in my meals and snacks]. I believe in this way I will be eligible for all the blessings of fasting.
7-16-09
True Fast (from the scriptures)
Matthew 6:18 -- Fast in secret
Matthew 9:15 -- "...but the days shall also come when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast." We fast to feel Him with us again. As if he were in the same room.
Luke 4:2 -- Fast to overcome temptation
Alma 5:46 -- Fast to learn truth (the spirit of revelation)
Alma 6:6 -- Fast in behalf of 'those who knew not God'
Alma 10:7 -- Fasted because of the sins of the people. Made the spirit of the Lord rest upon him
**Fasting is ALWAYS coupled with mighty prayer or much prayer. My fasts should also be.**
Alma 17:3 -- Blessings of fasting and prayer: spirit of prophecy, spirit of revelation, teach with power and authority from God
Alma 17:9 -- Fasted and prayed that a portion of the Spirit might be granted unto them - be an instrument in the hands of the Lord.
Alma 28:6 -- Fasting in sorrow
Alma 30:2 -- Fasting and mourning and prayer brought peace again in the land
Alma 45:1 - Fasting and prayer in gratitude
Helaman 3:35 -- Fast and pray oft = stronger humility, firmer faith, souls full of joy and consolation, purified and sanctified hearts, yield their hearts to God Helaman 9:10 -- Fasted in mourning
3 Nephi 27:1 -- Disciples united in mighty prayer and fasting, the Lord appeared to them
4 Nephi 1:12 -- The people continued in fasting and prayer [as if to show it as a part of their lifestyle and worship]
Doctrine & Covenants 59:14 -- "...this is fasting and prayer or in other words, rejoicing and prayer."
**I'd never understood why fasting and rejoicing would be used interchangeably here. Today I understand. Fasting isn't being hungry - fasting is being full; filled to overflowing with the Spirit of God and with his love...with understanding of his gospel and commandments. Rejoicing because of the sweetness and closeness of his spirit, and how easy it is to understand and comprehend spiritual things. Rejoicing because of clarity of mind and reaffirmation of purpose.**
Doctrine & Covenants 88:76 -- "...I give unto you a commandment that ye shall continue in fasting and prayer from this time forth."
I feel so full and happy...truly rejoicing. Now I will go into the bathroom where I can be alone to ponder and pray. :)
______________
So that's what I'd learned up to this morning. The day has been full of good feelings and communion with the Spirit. When I start to feel that spirit fade, it's a good time to pray again. This has been an incredible experience - and it's only my first goal out of like 56! You should try it....you won't be disappointed. :)
-
The Spirit of the Fast
Thursday, July 16, 2009

thank you so much for posting this!
I love you very much and miss you tons!
I also have considered how to fast when you can't go without food...your thoughts here were helpful to me, and I'm glad you gave this "eTalk." Thanks!
Awesome post. I always learn so much from you. I love you! XOXO - Mom
Wow. You do your research. I need to study more..